Titilope Sonuga, also known as Titi Sonuga, is a Nigerian poet, civil engineer and actress who spends her time between Lagos and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. She recently put out this piece on her social media handle.
10 THINGS SOMEBODY SHOULD HAVE TAUGHT ME:
- Do not romanticize suffering.There is nothing poetic about love that breaks your spirit.
- Know when to leave.Some bridges need to be burned.Use the light to find a better way.
- Practice forgiveness.Start with yourself.Nobody actually ever forgets.Remember the lesson.
- Say no.Do not negotiate with terrorists.Do not bargain for anyone’s love.
- Friendships end.Let go.Stay open.
- Save emotional real estate for the ones that will stay.Stay soft.Be a safe place for the people you love.
- Create time for yourself.Create something that will outlive you.
- Do things that move your spirit.Laugh.Cry.Pray.
- Love yourself as urgently and completely as you want to be loved.
- Becoming is hard work.Staying the same is even harder.